Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Historical Note - Lander to McClellan - January 16, 1862

THE WINTER WAR simulation now enters Day 3 of the campaign: January 16, 1862.  In the simulation, Lander has already been re-enforced by units arriving from Ohio. These include the 29th, 62nd, 66th and 67th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiments and Batteries "H" and "L" of the 1st Ohio Light Artillery. Historically, these regiments did not arrive until January 20th.

The following correspondence from Lander to General George B. McClellan is dated January 6, 1862 and reflects the fact the Ohio units had not yet arrived. He requests re-enforcement from the Cheat Mountain District (Brig. Gen. Robert Milroy). This correspondence can be found in The Official Records of the War of the Rebellion, Vol. 5, Chap. 14


PATTERSONS CREEK, January 16, 1862.

General MCCLELLAN:

GENERAL: I have the honor to reply to your inquiries.* When by request, October 25, I gave my views to General Scott on the subject of protecting the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, I recommended the occupation of Romney by Kelley, he to be immediately reenforced, but beyond holding the point to break up guerrilla parties I did not propose a strong demonstration here. A column was to cross at Harpers Ferry and occupy Loudoun Heights; thence a force to move on Martinsburg and Bath, or farther south, if circumstances justified even the holding the country west of the Shenandoah; Kelley then to advance leaving a guard on the railroad as he came on. A strong demonstration was to be from the east, with the intent to cut off Shenandoah Valley from the rebel army by interposing a heavy column along the Blue Mountains and holding the passes. Matters having been post.poned, the enemy now hold the Blue Mountain passes, and have a rail-road from Winchester to Strasburg, with Jackon’s command at Bloomery Gap and near Romney, for the rebel force at Romney now numbers 2,500 men. It is evident that scattered guards along railroad will not protect all troops brought out from the west.

Strengthen the Army of the Potomac, and troops brought up from the west can be placed along railroad here as it is open, perhaps prior to being so placed to be massed and a blow given to Jackson; in short, an attack made to take Shenandoah Valley from the enemy. My camp here is so placed that while I hold a peninsula, resting each flank on unfordable rivers, the whole line can be raised and take cars at short notice. I have half Jackson’s forces, and cannot do much as to guarding the road unless re-enforced. When able to leave road guarded in my rear, I propose to advance to Big Cacapon, on the Virginia side, and cover General Williams crossing. I am having boats built for him in Cumberland, and if I am strongly re-enforced from Ohio at once I have no doubt of effecting a junction with Banks south of Potomac. He need not cross till the Virginia side is secured by me. The presence of Jackson’s large force changes the aspect of matters along the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. I regard Milroy at Cheat Mountain in measure isolated, and in view of an advance of Loring via Moorefleld and Phulippi, perhaps too much so. With the aid of General Kelley, now in (Cumberland, whose advice and knowledge of this country will prove highly useful, Milroy might secure this road in my rear to Big Cacapon neces-sarily re-enforced.

Should I advance, I can cross 4,000 infantry at Little Cacapon Bridge, fall on Romney, via Winchester turnpike by a mountain road, and retake at any time. I have hesitated to do so only that I am not massed and ready for sudden emergency with my whole force, and the enemy would break to the mountains and have nothing there worth capturing. Should a merely defensive course be adopted, my successor here should be a soldier and disciplinarian. This command is more like an armed mob than an army.

Resolved to a brief statement, this force can join Williams along the railroad at some risk of encountering a much larger one. If the rail-road be guarded at once by re-enforcements from Ohio it can take Bath, and a portion of Banks column then threatens Martinsburg. It can take Martinsburg should Banks cross; it can take Winchester and hold the Blue Mountain Pass, or fall on Leesburg and join McCall. In the latter case the enemy’s left would endeavor to cut it off at Leesburg but only by exposing himself by a flank march to your right. Colonel Dunning, of the Fifth Ohio. is ranking officer here; an able and competent man. If Colonel Grover, of Utah celebrity, were appointed brigadier-general he might relieve me.

Trusting that I have not exceeded the terms of your instructions, I am, respectfully,

F. W. LANDER, Brigadier- General.

No comments: