Monday, January 16, 2017

Jackson Present at Romney

Major General Thomas J. Jackson was present in Romney town during the engagement on the afternoon of Day 5 of the campaign. His presence may have given a morale bonus to troops in the area. Whether by accident or design, Jackson's headquarters and staff were shelled by Capt. Clark's Battery ("E," 4th US Artillery) deployed across the Green Spring Road (Moorefield and North Branch Turnpike) near Riker.

When I was tabulating casualties for the Confederate side, I kept getting numbers that were off by 2 compared to what I was seeing in the game. Eventually, I realized that it was because I hadn't paid any attention to Jackson's staff. Two of his staff were wounded by shell fragments from Capt. Clark's No. 6 gun.  The wounded officers were Lieutenants Pendleton and Junkins.

No comments: