Saturday, September 24, 2016

4th Virginia Commander

I have made a correction to the Confederate OOB for the 4th Virginia (Garnett's Brigade). Originally, I had Lieut. Col. Charles Ronald listed as the commander. Then I saw that he was promoted from Capt. to Lieut. Col. in February 1862, after the period covered by the simulation. I then saw that Capt. Albert G. Pendleton had been promoted to major after all of the original field officers were no longer available. It turns out, however, that he was not promoted until January 31st. I had originally had him in the OOB as a major, but then worked on the assumption that he may have been commanding as captain prior to his promotion. However, today I got the history of the 4th Virginia through inter-library loan and found that Major Joseph Ferdinand Kent, the original major didn't resign until January 31st 1862. (I had thought it might have been earlier.) So... Major Kent will be listed as the commander on the OOB. It is possible that he was absent, but that is the best information I have available. I am assuming he resigned after the Bath-Romney Campaign, which was not highly popular with the men of Jackson's command.

No comments: